The Road to Trinity Lake KOA

Vagabond, gypsy, wanderer, we’ve been called many things but truthfully we just have the coolest job ever!  Our latest destination is Lake Trinity KOA in Trinity Center, California.  The Californian Alps… like Shasta, and Lassen baby!  I’ve been so excited since it was offered to me that I was almost afraid to commit it to paper.  I have a “two day” rule that kind of follows me around.  Some people have a ten second rule for eat cookies off the floor… I have a two day KOA rule that changes the location of where I am going next… it goes like this… if the big cheese or the bigger cheese offers me a location, I say “great!”  Then I wait two days before I repeat this knowledge to anyone else.  No news?  Great!  Start making arrangements… but don’t get too comfy, cuz there is another two day window just prior to departure.  All Cheeses reserve the right to change their mind. 

I feel safe to publish my excitement for Trinity Lake KOA since I have passed both sides of the “two” day KOA rule… and on top of that I am only “two” days away from arriving in said locale, we are more than “two” thirds of the way across the country. GREAT!
The journey to Trinity is paved with I-10 this time of year.  Each time we pondered a more northern route, the forecast of snow quickly changes our mind.  Alas, we have stayed on I-10. 

Did you know it takes 2 days to get out of Florida?  After that Alabama and Mississippi fly by and you end you in Louisiana.   Louisiana’s cajun food, bayou music, and an infectious zest for life have always called out to me… but is it not to be on this trip… Texas looms large on the horizon.
Texas is wide… really wide… like three days wide going from east to west via I-10.   Thankfully we had a stopover at Lake Conroe KOA and broke bread with some KOA Kompadres.  It’s always great to see a friendly face along the road.   Thanks! 
Then we had a bit of rig trouble… which put us on a beeline for Phoenix where we had an appointment for repairs.  Wanting to get somewhere fast doesn’t get you there fast… nor does it give you the luxury of planning our timing.  We hit rush hour in Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso… just lovely.  

We spent a night at a scary roadside motel/campground in nowheresville.  I can’t believe we didn’t take pictures… lol.  They put us next to (inches) the building, we could only put one slide out, our door opened up to a view inside the dumpster, and they charged us $45.    Ruth said she could see the “I Love KOA” mantra circling my head.  In the morning our host offered to lift the electric lines with a pole for us to pull out.  We opted to back all the way out to the street rather than risk electrocution.  We didn’t notice until later that stuff was stolen out of the back of our truck.

Happy to cross into New Mexico is a slight understatement.  We counted down the last 10 mile-markers of Texas, hooted and hollered and kissed the dogs… the only thing missing was “auld lang syne” on the radio.    

For everything that didn’t feel right about Texas this time, New Mexico did.   Ruth feels a kinship to the Red rock and the mountain buttes.  Me?  Well, I am amused by the rest stop signs.  I know weird right?  Somewhere in this area, they start to warn you for snakes and scorpions… great!  I have to admit to Ruth that it is some beautiful country. .. perhaps someday… I ponder as I fall asleep all safe and cozy at my Las Cruses KOA.

Until next time... Peace, Luv, and Sweet Dreams,

barbie

10 comments:

  1. Loved Las Cruces when I stayed there over 20 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, the BLOG is back! I don't get the "Shasta, and Lassen" thing, but I agree you have a super-cool gig going. At least once a week, I think about selling it all and following you around. I don't even know what stops me. Anyway...great!
    Bonesy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you again!! We thought of you when we stayed at the Lost Alaskan in Alpine TX a few weeks ago. We spent the better part of 6 weeks in Texas and left there only on Monday, trying to outrun the big storm that you may have gone through. In fact, we probably passed you going in the opposite direction on I10. Love the sound of your jobs.
    Carole and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIppee! Glad to see/hear/read you again. Safe and wondrous travels.
    xoxo
    Rachel & Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so good to read your blog again, we'll be waiting for more. You should be a writer. Safe travels.
    Luv, Jeannie, George & Annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the new home is YAY very soon! Glad you're safe and sound and happier this day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to have you safe and the blog back. We do live vicariously through your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good to hear from you and yeah for the blogging too! miss you guys and stay safe! Karen & Rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ruth and Barb, great to hear from you again! John and I traversed Northern CA a few years back and were awed by Shasta and Lassen. Holy bubbling mud-pots, Batman! There's a little town called Forks of Salmon you've got to see. The town has it's own wandering horse! The road through there is a little scary - no guard rails - but well worth the experience. I would suggest taking the car and not the rig. I also loved Hoopa with the Big Foot road signs. No lie! Way better than snakes and scorpions! Keep us in the loop. Till then, Happy Trails from Suzan, John and Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb, So glad that you are still blogging. As I said before, write a book please! I just took that ride from S. Florida to Texas by myself and it just felt long! lol But it was nice to stop in Baton Rouge from some fabulous Cajun foods. Let's touch base soon. Alice

    ReplyDelete